It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How can i play on Windows XP ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm 

Hey all,

I bought the game but i can't play, how can i play on Windows XP ?

Thanks for any helps can't fix for a week

Post subject: Re: How can i play on Windows XP ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm 

You can't. Period.

There won't be hacks and workarounds as the game does not utilize DX9 shaders and there isn't any fully working method of getting DX10 hardware acceleration on the Win XP kernel.

You should have checked the requirements before buying, I'm afraid. Upgrading to Windows 7 or getting a console version is the only solution. Also make sure you have a GPU that supports DX10 shaders even if you change your OS.

Wii, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, 3DS, PSP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:06 pm 

I'm sorry mate but machoman1337 is right, your should have checked before purchasing cause it ain't compatible with Windows XP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:26 pm 

You can set up partition with the free Windows 8 beta (it's quite stable, and there's a very easy way to turn off the stupid Metro tile UI and get a classic desktop) if you don't want to pay for windows 7. Then install Sleeping Dogs on that and delete the partition when you're done. But of course, you also need a dx10/11 GPU or it's a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:44 pm 

machoman1337 wrote:
You can set up partition with the free Windows 8 beta (it's quite stable, and there's a very easy way to turn off the stupid Metro tile UI and get a classic desktop) if you don't want to pay for windows 7. Then install Sleeping Dogs on that and delete the partition when you're done. But of course, you also need a dx10/11 GPU or it's a waste.

I hope so for him but because he's using Windows XP so I'm afraid he doesn't have a DX11 card.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm 

LtJamesWatts wrote:
machoman1337 wrote:

I hope so for him but because he's using Windows XP so I'm afraid he doesn't have a DX11 card.

You can run the game on a DX10 card fine, just without some DX11-exclusive effects and I don't think SD has them anyway (i.e. tessellation).

A lot of us were using DX10 GPUs on windows XP :) They were quite common during Vista's life cycle and it wasn't unheard of for people to buy Vista PCs and then reformat with XP due to Vista's horrible quality. I myself had a DX10 laptop and used XP on it for four years. Also at the time the only game that actually made use of DX10 was Crysis which still looked good and ran better in DX9 mode, giving people even more incentive to stay on XP.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:47 am 

machoman1337 wrote:
LtJamesWatts wrote:
machoman1337 wrote:

You can run the game on a DX10 card fine, just without some DX11-exclusive effects and I don't think SD has them anyway (i.e. tessellation).

A lot of us were using DX10 GPUs on windows XP :) They were quite common during Vista's life cycle and it wasn't unheard of for people to buy Vista PCs and then reformat with XP due to Vista's horrible quality. I myself had a DX10 laptop and used XP on it for four years. Also at the time the only game that actually made use of DX10 was Crysis which still looked good and ran better in DX9 mode, giving people even more incentive to stay on XP.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thx for the info :)