It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Language files - Steam version limitations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

Hi there, this is my first post but I guess not less important, and hope an admin can at least answer and advice how to proceed.

The problem here comes when we get the steam version for this great game. You know steam allows game gifts trading, they created that and is cool when you have some games from a pack or something you are not going to play. I traded a copy of this game for some other games I already owned, and gifted it to a friend cause of his birthday, being so excited for both so he would get a great present. The gift didin't have any tag on it so it could be suspicious about where did it come from, until it was activated. Then it showed up it was a RU preorder. Well ok till here, but one day before the release, we could check that steam had blocked languages in the game, so that game could only be downloaded in English or Russian.

So here comes the problem, now my friend has a game in a language he can't play, I got his copy on a fair way, and I now seems that I can't even transfer him the language files so he can play his copy with my language files.

I know there are lots of ppl in our same situation cause we are talking to them and also posting in steam forums. I know this might be an issue we must solve with steam, but I know that regional limitations many times come from the developer at first, so I would like some advice about how solving this issue without buying AGAIN the game and if there are any language or config files I can send my friend so he can play well.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post :)

Post subject: Re: Language files - Steam version limitations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:33 pm 
Forum Administrator

Where did you get the key from? Was it from a site that sells keys with big wording about `how legal they are?`

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm 

jaywalker2309 wrote:
Where did you get the key from? Was it from a site that sells keys with big wording about `how legal they are?`

I said it was not a key, it was a tradeable game from Steam, in a fair trade through their own trading system. Eveything was legit, but steam had no different tags for gifts from different regions, so noone could know which country come from. Actually, I traded with a guy from Canada, so he might have traded it before ...

We are talking about this issue in this thread also:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2878036

Regards.

Last edited by Crothgar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm 

I got the same problem that him.
I got a copy of Sleeping Dogs with the Steam trading system; I traded one of my game with a Sleeping Dogs with any tag (usually when a copy is Russian it have RU tag) using the steam trade feature.
After activate it, it say Sleeping Dogs Preorder (RU) and now I cant select the Spanish language, only English or Russian.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:45 pm 
Forum Administrator

This is what i am trying to find, the original SOURCE of the key. When you say it wasnt a key ALL steam games are a key at some point, thats where they `begin` life..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 pm 

Jaywalker. Keys cannot be turned in to gift items (for Steams trading system), ergo the game must of been acquired originally on steam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm 

jaywalker2309 wrote:
This is what i am trying to find, the original SOURCE of the key. When you say it wasnt a key ALL steam games are a key at some point, thats where they `begin` life..

Mmmm, yeah I guess steam games are a key when you buy them from their own store, but you can directly add them to your library, or you can buy them as a gift, so you get a copy of the game in your inventory, and it will show up as if you had a little game case (sorry if you already know how they work, I'm just trying to clearify).

So as the preorder showed, seems like the original source was a russian guy buying that game as a gift, then trade it I don't know how many times, till it got to this canadian guy who traded it to me, always through steam trading system that is 100% legit. The problem is that when steam has games with regional descriptions, they usually tag them with "RU" in the name of the game, for example "Sleeping Dogs Preorder (RU)". But here comes the problem, steam didn't tag the game this time, so all the gift copies showed up as it had no restrictions, nobody could know it was russian ultil it was activated and added to the library.

So that's why I asked if there are any language file we can switch, or if there is another way we can solve this, cause in fact, we got a ROW game, that had RU limitations hidden inside.

Thanks for answering.

EDIT: as Gishank says, there are no keys at all, you just buy the game from the store and add it to your library or get it as a gift, that is like a game cover you can trade throught their trading system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:53 pm 

Any news about this? Is there any way to access the language files?

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 am 

I have the same issue my copy didn't contain any Tags when it was a steam gift but once activated on account it says Sleeping Dogs Preorder (RU) on languages says English and Russian and I speak spanish mostly ....

And the origin of steam gifts is Steam store...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 am 

Seems as if we have been forgotten, we don't get any advice on how handle this situation, and there are many people involved but maybe they don't know where to go. Should we get a hacked and cracked version of the game to be able to play in our language even if we "paid" for it? :/