HKShip.exe error / game wont start. this FIXED it for me.
i downloaded the game on steam but it wouldnt run and i got the hkship.exe has stopped working error. tried everything i could find on forums with no luck, so experimented a bit and the game loads fine now.
i am running a brand new install of vista 64 fully updated, and nvidia 310.90 drivers.
heres what i did:
1. exit steam.
2. go to: Programme files, Steam, Steam apps, Common, Sleeping dogs, Redist
3. remove the following files; D3D11Install_2010.exe, vcredist_x86.exe, D3D11InstallHelper.dll
4. go to: Programme files, Steam, Steam apps, Common, Sleeping dogs
5. remove the following files; HKShip.exe, d3d11.dll, dxgi.dll
6. start steam, right click on sleeping dogs and select properties.
7. select local files then verify integrity of game cache and follow the prompts.
steam replaced the files and now the game starts every time!
hope this helps someone! i was close to giving up and asking for a refund.
You my good sir have just helped me firgure what could be the cause of all of this. After running the verify regardless it DOESN'T push the d3d11.dll and the dxgi.dll into the game folders.....Ill investigate more into this and on acquiring these files to test.
Update: Nevermind I tested that and it didn't work. This is the biggest troubleshooting I have ever done in my entire life. Well done Square Enix. I Accepted this Challenge.