It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Support for Windows 8 users [How-To-Fix-Things]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm 

Now this is not an problem anymore as I did fix it by itself, I'm writing this message so others with Win8 can try this quite amazing game. I know Windows 8 ain't supported yet in any game, that's another reason why I'm writing this message.

Alright, I bought SleepingDogs from Steam few days ago and also I downloaded a Hi-res dlc pack. I'm loving this game so far, but I had a few problems before I got in game in Win8.

Game not starting
- I managed to fix this problem by installing newest DirectX 11 packages, even though they say that Win8 does include it, it doesnt look like it.

Steps:

1) I did install this normal package of DX11:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

2) Then DirectX SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

3) And DirectX 11 Technology Update too, just be sure:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17431

4) Reboot your computer.

Now it should start up, but then I did run into another problem. I couldnt change graphics settings at all, they just kept changing on back to where they were even in version 1.4.

Graphical settings does get back to normal
- If you go to options and can't change graphics options in Win8, I'll have an fix for it too.

Steps:

1) Verify game cache on Steam.

2) Delete all benchmark .xml files from steamapps/common/SleepingDogs

3) Delete DisplaySettings.xml from steamapps/common/SleepingDogs/data

4) Change HkShip.exe compatibility mode to Windows 7 also check run as administrator option.

5) Run the game as normal from Steam.

I don't know if it's only matter of changing compatibility mode to Win7, but atleast this is how I did get my copy of SleepingDogs working like it should. Now it's just perfect.

Let me know if you guys run into any other problems with Win8, I like to try fix these things. Also I'm not anyway related to an real support of SleepingDogs, so if you use my steps, don't blame me if your computer blows up. I try to help as much as I can though.

Post subject: Re: Support for Windows 8 users [How-To-Fix-Things]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am 

Hey, i still have the same problem, when i try to run the game nothing happens, it indicates it 'thinks' after i click the HKShip.exe then nothing. I have tried to follow the instructions above and still no luck, tried changing the compatibility also.

Any more ideas?

Post subject: Re: Support for Windows 8 users [How-To-Fix-Things]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:46 pm 

omg man are you joking? why the heck someone needs DirectX SDK for playing games?
hahaha lol xD this thread is a LOL thread.

you DO NOT need to install none of them cause it's just a waste , believe or not.
first Windows 8 is shipped with DirectX 11 so you don't need to install Dx11 again.
second DirectX SDK for developing games and graphical applications, if you want to run the games based DirectX technology then you need DirectX run time libraries in which are already integrated to Windows 7 and Windows 8.
So don't bother to waste your bandwidth.
last one is obviously useless. well even after you have done everything you don't need to restart the system.

I dunno the exact reason why this game doesn't work on Windows 8 (if it doesn't) but I can guarantee what you have mentioned are utter gibberish.