It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: HKship.exe has stopped responding
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm 

Every single time I try to start this game up, it'll take me right to the loading screen only to freeze there. I have to open task manager and close the process to be able to exit. I have literally been unable to play this at all since last night, and I'm starting to think this issue may require a patch of some kind.

Any ideas? I got the game from steam, and apparently there are some users on the Sleeping Dogs forum having a similar issue.

Last edited by Driber on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: HKship.exe has stopped responding.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

Where are you based? using any form of VPN? behind a strict firewall etc?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm 

My firewall automatically creates exceptions for steam games to go through, all the others work perfectly fine. What is VPN, out of curiosity?

Edit: Based in North America, if that's what you meant. Also using windows 7.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm 
Forum Administrator

So you are getting the game `launching`, which loading screen do you mean? post menus, ie on new game? or before menus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

It gets as far as the pre-menu launch screen, but no further. It essentially hangs there until I force the program to close. It'll have the logos of the various companies (Havok etc.) as well as the copyright info and etc.

Hope that helps. It's never gotten past that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 pm 

Dear Administrator,

Well, I saw many posts saying that cannot run this game after installing from steam. I bought a disk in a Hong Kong local store, it is not working when installed as well. Is this the problem of release date for Asia Pac region?

By the way, there is really a special feeling for having a game based in my home town! I guess I have to wait for 17/8/2012 Huh! I wish it work that day that I have not to bothering you again! :)

Regards,
Erich Fung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Forum Administrator

@echofoxtrot - Yes we're looking into the Asian region why its not unlocked, hopefully be resolved very soon.

@Karsengir - If you hit alt-enter and get the game into windowed mode do you see any error messages in Windows that were being hidden by the game? Are you using Controller or just keyboard mouse? Whats the last screen you see before it freezes for you? The `Version 1.1` screen?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm 

Gahhh might as well add to this as well. No VPN running (not entirely sure what that is) my specs check out, (Alienware m 11x) and so on. I currently live in Germany, but im on a US military post and purchased the game through the NA page on Steam (as per my credit card region and what not) so I paid in USD. Only difference from OP is that my game wont even get into a loading screen. I click Play on Steam, white window pops up, pretends to load for a few seconds, then the HKShip.exe has stopped working pop up comes on. Havnt played a wink of this game since it came out .... im hurtin, please someone help me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm 

jaywalker2309 wrote:
@echofoxtrot - Yes we're looking into the Asian region why its not unlocked, hopefully be resolved very soon.

@Karsengir - If you hit alt-enter and get the game into windowed mode do you see any error messages in Windows that were being hidden by the game? Are you using Controller or just keyboard mouse? Whats the last screen you see before it freezes for you? The `Version 1.1` screen?

I'm using a keyboard and mouse as I do not have a controller that can be plugged into my pc. When I put the game into windowed mode I get no error messages, and nothing pops up in task manager until I go to close the game. The only error message I will get (upon closing the game) is Hkship.exe is not responding.

The screen it freezes on is the first one that pops up after the game launches. It freezes immediately and the only option I have is to exit out of it. There are no menus or anything to speak of, it's the screen with the copyright information that has the logos above it (Havok, AMD, etc.) as detailed in a previous post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

If you are physically located in Germany then this is probably why its not working for you as the game is not available yet in Germany. Not a lot we can do about that until europe launches the game :( Even though you have bought a US key you need to activate it in a `US` region. Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:08 pm 
Forum Administrator

Karsengir wrote:
I'm using a keyboard and mouse as I do not have a controller that can be plugged into my pc. When I put the game into windowed mode I get no error messages, and nothing pops up in task manager until I go to close the game. The only error message I will get (upon closing the game) is Hkship.exe is not responding.

The screen it freezes on is the first one that pops up after the game launches. It freezes immediately and the only option I have is to exit out of it. There are no menus or anything to speak of, it's the screen with the copyright information that has the logos above it (Havok, AMD, etc.) as detailed in a previous post.

Shut down steam, go into your steam\steamapps\common\sleepingdogs folder.. and delete the HKship.exe file.. (assuming this is where its installed your game - if its not in this folder then it maybe under a username folder in steamapps).. Restart steam, and right click on sleeping dogs, go to properties and verify local files from the tab.. Try launch again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:25 pm 

jaywalker2309 wrote:
Karsengir wrote:

Shut down steam, go into your steam\steamapps\common\sleepingdogs folder.. and delete the HKship.exe file.. (assuming this is where its installed your game - if its not in this folder then it maybe under a username folder in steamapps).. Restart steam, and right click on sleeping dogs, go to properties and verify local files from the tab.. Try launch again

Followed your instructions to the letter and I'm still receiving the same issue. Any more work arounds or tips you can offer? At this point I'm thinking this is a bug they need to patch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 pm 

I've got this problem too, or a form of it. The crash can happen anywhere from the very first splash screen with all the logos (before the United Front or AMD logos), or at the main menu, or when changing options. I've gotten into the game at least, but it crashes intermittently and always before the end of the post-chase cutscenes.

I've tried verifying cache, deleting hkship.exe and reverifying, completely uninstalling the game and redownloading it. I checked Windows' Event Viewer, and it said something about the fault being in C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll, so I downloaded another copy of that and put it into the game's folder (which did seem to help a bit), but it still crashes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm 

jaywalker2309 wrote:
If you are physically located in Germany then this is probably why its not working for you as the game is not available yet in Germany. Not a lot we can do about that until europe launches the game :( Even though you have bought a US key you need to activate it in a `US` region. Sorry

Heres the kicker... my friend lives 3 rooms down from me, hes playing it just fine right now. He hasnt done anything special to his account or any weird settings... its just, works for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

Any fix for this yet? I live in the US and have been getting this same error as well, my PC meets the requirements too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next