It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this going to be a problem?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 pm 

Hello! I just found out about this game from Gamespot and I just had to come learn more about it. I'm very surprised that I've never heard of Sleeping Dogs before, seeing as the game looks so good. However, the high level of quality this game seems to have also makes me kind of cautious that maybe you guys just have skilled advertisers, since the game did just pop up out of nowhere, looking all amazing. Regardless, I'm still very excited/curious about the game.

Anyways, my question is about the AI, which populate the game. After seeing all the videos about the game, I'm afraid that the game's going to be way too empty to be in Hong Kong. It just doesn't look like there's very many [unscripted] things going on in the city. This is one of my biggest pet peeves for open world games. I mean, everyone knows that you can't make all the buildings in the game open to walk in and explore, because that's just too much work, so I think the game should at least have a believable amount of AI people and cars walking and driving around to interact with. Is Sleeping Dogs going to be a desolate and boring wasteland or will there be enough AI citizens to help me believe that maybe I really am in Hong Kong?

Post subject: Re: Is this going to be a problem?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 am 

this is also my biggest concern. i love the Hong Kong theme but question rather or not it will be deep enough interactivity wise. from what iv seen thus far, it looks like it has a minimal amount of side activities like racing (blah) chicken fighting (who cares) and a fight club??...even though the fighting looks way too easy as it is and i plan on shooting my way through the entire game when i can. theres massage parlors and different apartments...but all of that is cosmetic touch, it doesnt transfer into replay value. some ONLINE PLAY would have solved this problem but....yeah.

what i really want to see is a "Mafiya Work" mode like in GTA4 where youre asked to do various tasks for a crime boss and the crimes constantly generate and vary. i know there will be 100+ side missions...but any hardcore gamer will blow through those in 2 weeks. the game needs Constant and Random Activity that wont get stale. the gangs that pop up on the same corners over and over again just seems too stale and too easy, theres gotta be more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:21 am 

Hello welcome to the forums..

The thing about open world games is that its not strong on every aspect like sleeping dogs... GTA was all about driving and shooting..Assassins creed is about fighting and free running,, but sleeping dogs takes the best from all sandbox games i think.. this game really didnt come out of nowhere its been in production for many years and it was true crime hong kong in 2010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 am 
Forum Top Dog

xmonke wrote:
Anyways, my question is about the AI, which populate the game. After seeing all the videos about the game, I'm afraid that the game's going to be way too empty to be in Hong Kong. It just doesn't look like there's very many [unscripted] things going on in the city. This is one of my biggest pet peeves for open world games. I mean, everyone knows that you can't make all the buildings in the game open to walk in and explore, because that's just too much work, so I think the game should at least have a believable amount of AI people and cars walking and driving around to interact with. Is Sleeping Dogs going to be a desolate and boring wasteland or will there be enough AI citizens to help me believe that maybe I really am in Hong Kong?

:lol: Funny u should mention that. Some of the previewers actually had sum minor gripes that there were too many npc's & cars on the roads, & that it felt like they might threaten 2 get in the way of free-running & driving.

UFG touched on this issue by assuring us npc & traffic density would b context sensitive/variable. So basically, the city is stuffed 2 the gills during free-roam (certainly compared 2 just about any other sandbox games), but during missions, density would b dialed down. (hear that? stuff has 2 b dialed down! music 2 the ears :mrgreen: )

So on a free-running heavy mission, u'd have less npc's in ur way (not enuff 2 frustrate, but just enuff 4 free-running 2 still b a challenge), & a driving-intensive mission would c less traffic (so ur not constantly crashing into other cars, especially if ur doing sumthin timed). In fact, I think during street races, there's hardly an ambient car around (at least from the footage I've seen so far). But once ur betw. missions, the place is supposed 2 b packed :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 am 

@lieutenantjayz
@DawginTow1

Thanks for the insight. Now I feel even more excited for the game and less worried about how fun it will actually be to play. Sleeping Dogs is starting to sound even better and better!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:59 am 

DawginTow1 wrote:
xmonke wrote:

:lol: Funny u should mention that. Some of the previewers actually had sum minor gripes that there were too many npc's & cars on the roads, & that it felt like they might threaten 2 get in the way of free-running & driving.

UFG touched on this issue by assuring us npc & traffic density would b context sensitive/variable. So basically, the city is stuffed 2 the gills during free-roam (certainly compared 2 just about any other sandbox games), but during missions, density would b dialed down. (hear that? stuff has 2 b dialed down! music 2 the ears :mrgreen: )

So on a free-running heavy mission, u'd have less npc's in ur way (not enuff 2 frustrate, but just enuff 4 free-running 2 still b a challenge), & a driving-intensive mission would c less traffic (so ur not constantly crashing into other cars, especially if ur doing sumthin timed). In fact, I think during street races, there's hardly an ambient car around (at least from the footage I've seen so far). But once ur betw. missions, the place is supposed 2 b packed :D

WOOT!

this game just keeps getting better and better

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

They have mentioned things like random fights, drug deals and shoplifting. The game is very interactive, watch some vids, people react to what you do, lots of stores, good sound, 150+ side missions, and lots to do.