It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleeping Dogs Main Story Ending *HUGE SPOILERS!*
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 pm 

If the title still wasn't enough, I'm warning you again. If you haven't finished the story and don't wish to know the ending, do not read ANYTHING that is posted in here.

So this thread is basically for discussion relating to the end of the story. I finished it today and was pretty impressed.

Spoiler: show
The brutality, the atmosphere, the action. It all really ticked all the right boxes for me. When I was watching Wei being tortured I really couldn't help but tense up. Loved beating the crap out of that guy with the machete! What was his name again, Mr. Tong? The evenging Jackie, all real awesome stuff! I have to say, overall, I have really enjoyed the story of Sleeping Dogs. I was really sceptical at first, that it would just be another game where the story missions are a bit of a chore (Saints Row...), but I really enjoyed it. Plenty of plot twists (not too many though), interesting well developed characters, and some really awesome action! I also never thought I'd enjoy this more than a shooter, but I did! I absolutely loved beating people to a bloody pulp rather than just blowing their heads off! :D

So what did everybody else think?

Post subject: Re: Sleeping Dogs Main Story Ending *HUGE SPOILERS!*
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:29 pm 

The ending was decent and they definitely left a lot of room for a sequel or future dlc. It ended pretty quick though, I really wanted to see how things wrapped up. Don't get me wrong I liked the ending (especially when Wei mentions to Teng about thanking her for letting him help with the cop missions to keep him sane :) ), the whole game was intense and I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish, it just would have been nice to know more about the rivalry with the 18k, Aunt Jiang's plans now that she's most likely becoming the next chairman, and whatever happened to Conroy, Ricky, even Two-Chins? It just feels like a big tease when they introduce you to all these unique characters and they end up getting sidelined.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 pm 

Yeah, maybe that's the plan. Leave it wide open for a sequel. Something the ending did lack, for me anyways, was a choice. I think it would have been really cool if you could choose whether to align yourself back into the triad (Jiang seemed to forgive Wei, despite being a cop) or to stick with the HKPD. Don't know how this would've worked but it would have been cool.

Still, you're right the ending was good. I particularly liked the dialogue with Teng at the end too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 pm 

I thought the ending was a bit rushed, referring to when Wei Shen received the video evidence of Pendrew's dirtiness and just threw Pendrew into prison.

I would have preferred a grand finale fighting through a legion of corrupt officers loyal to Pendrew, and finally a confrontation with Pendrew himself. The confrontation with Pendrew wouldn't need to be direct - just think of the airport scene in Max Payne 3, after gunning through squads of corrupt cops, Max Payne just breaks the bad guy's leg and leaves him howling in agony.

Wii, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, 3DS, PSP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

I just completed the burried alive mission and theres no other mission showing so is that the last mission or do i have to do something like call someone or what i thought of is go to sleep?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 pm 

zain611 wrote:
I just completed the burried alive mission and theres no other mission showing so is that the last mission or do i have to do something like call someone or what i thought of is go to sleep?

Go to sleep, or wait for a text message from Jackie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 pm 

Thanks, i thought that was the last mission and i watched the gameplay of it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 pm 

yes i thoroughly enjoyed it. Great game! Pretty much a movie where you're in charge.

Unf. little value left so it's up on ebay so i can get most of my money back. Can't wait for the next fun game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 pm 

did anyone else feel shocked/sad when Jackie was discovered hanging by his wrists, disemboweled?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes macho, that was tough to see. This was a great story and the first one I have finished in this genre in a very very long time, it was done in a non repetitive way, and told a great and amazing story of an undercover cop. It was just the right amount and not overdone in length, it leaves you wanting more which is good. I fully enjoyed this story, it was an amazing one that had some twists and turns. I am very happy that things are left a little bit open as this opens up some great ideas for expansions/sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:37 am 

machoman1337 wrote:
did anyone else feel shocked/sad when Jackie was discovered hanging by his wrists, disemboweled?

It was an emotional/shocking moment for me, really wasn't expecting that. They did a great job with the story, I couldn't stop playing cause I wanted to know what happens next just like a movie and yes i'd buy a DLC that continues the story!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:50 am 

Yeah i have to agree, i loved the way the game ended out, i even went back to sing karoke after i beat it aswell as other stuff too (and i really ever go back to game after i beat it) but yeah i want asnd so hope theres a Sleeping Dogs 2! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:56 am 

Big Smile Lee was very reminiscent of Johnny Wong in Hard Boiled in my opinion. Jackie's death though was shocking and very emotional as he has been in many missions and has played an interesting role as he begins doubting his Triad life and his character development. As far as the Pendrew thing is concerned, It really uses that "Ends justify the Means" motif. Though my only criticism would be some characters lacked elaboration like Two Chin Tsao and Pokmark Cheuk (Po's advisor). It would have been cool as well to have a character like Mad Dog from Hard Boiled (Maybe it's supposed to be Ricky but meh, not too sure). Also Winston's death while it didn't have as much impact as Jackie's, still pulled on the heartstrings. It was also interesting to see Wei's relationship with Raymond develop. Also it was kinda short in a way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:42 am 

Oh really. I hated the ending. Because the game kept hinting to you that, maybe, just maybe, the fact that your Triad level was higher than your Cop level or vice versa was going to change something. But in the end it changed nothing. The ending was too half-a$$ed in my opinion.

As for the rest of the game, I really enjoyed it. I wish there were more missions, but that's beside the fact. I perdicted Winston and Peggy's death, but I expected Jackie to make it. Ricky was my fav character, so it sucked that I didn't get alot of time to interact with him. I hated Pendrew, always did, but I loved Big Smile Lee as a villian. Another one of my fav characters was Broken Nose Jiang, only because she was awesome and a positive female character in a game where all of the girls sleep with you on the first date ^_^.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:53 am 

machoman1337 wrote:

I know for sure I did, I was pissed! When I play a game with a good story I tend to get attached to the characters I meet that I would like in person based on there personality.
Spoiler: show
Like with Winston when I first saw him I thought he was just going to be an annoying guy who thought he was better than others then that talk he gives while in the car changed things for me. I could tell he was a really decent person.