It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Option to change spoken-language to Cantonese
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm 

The title says it all...

I would like to see this option added into the game. I speak Cantonese, and I am tired of the world depicting anything 'Chinese-like' with Mandarin as the language. It really irritates me when people do that, whether it is movies, or games, or whatever.

To complete the feel for myself especially, I highly suggest you guys adding in this to the options. There can be subtitle language choice, and spoken language choice. Putting in Chinese subtitles is a no I assume, but at least put Cantonese for a spoken-language choice.

Also, it would be pleasant to hear the NPCs in Hong Kong speak Cantonese, and not Mandarin. Hopefully your research on Hong Kong has left you with the knowledge that almost 90% of Hong Kong residents speak Cantonese.

I have really high hopes for this game, because it is the first time I see my homeland being featured in a game, and in a game that 100% centres around my home.

Post subject: Re: Option to change spoken-language to Cantonese
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:17 pm 
Forum Top Dog

Hello XSonntoX, welcome to the forum :) .

As for your question: Sleeping Dogs will be in English mixed with Cantonese language to make the game more authentic, but at the same time not too unfamiliar to the western audience, although a character named Mrs.Chu will be completely talking in Cantonese.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 am 

SleepingDogs wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and thank you for your reply! I am glad that you guys chose Hong Kong, and actually put Cantonese in the game. I am really happy, and that almost solidifies my decision to get this game. I have high hopes for it, like I said before. I am super excited for it! :)

SleepingDogs wrote:
As for your question: Sleeping Dogs will be in English mixed with Cantonese language to make the game more authentic, but at the same time not too unfamiliar to the western audience, although a character named Mrs.Chu will be completely talking in Cantonese.

So there is absolutely no chance that there will be an option on the options menu to change the spoken-language to Cantonese fully? -- I guess that is better than no Cantonese at all! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:51 am 

In one of the gameplay videos you can hear random NPC's on the streets speaking Cantonese, but the main characters and the cutscenes are all English from what i've seen. I would like the only Cantonese option as well, would add a lot to the game. Didn't know about the Mrs. Chu thing, sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 am 

XSonntoX wrote:
SleepingDogs wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and thank you for your reply! I am glad that you guys chose Hong Kong, and actually put Cantonese in the game. I am really happy, and that almost solidifies my decision to get this game. I have high hopes for it, like I said before. I am super excited for it! :)

SleepingDogs wrote:

So there is absolutely no chance that there will be an option on the options menu to change the spoken-language to Cantonese fully? -- I guess that is better than no Cantonese at all! :)

if y'all seen the protector with tony jaa i have the dvd and i thought it was pretty cool that you could put it in in english/thai with that people who spoke english spoke english and people who spoke thai spoke thai i believe that would give a real feel to it since as we seen from previews there will be british crime lords and maybe some english american if we start off in san fransico ones and knowing that Wei is bilingual due to his time spent in america it would give that real authenticity and if someone so happens to wants english have a full english but thats just my opioion on it

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:49 pm 

Hey XSonntoX, as a fellow Cantonese speaker, I share your sentiments. We're not the the only ones who feel this way:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56

I'm also sure that having a full Canto option will make a lot more HK gamers very happy (read: buy the game). However, I don't think it's going to happen because the market is probably not big enough for Square to feel that it's worth the time, effort, and cash. At least as SleepingDogs noted, there's some Cantonese mixed in with the English. Keep in mind this game was made by a team mostly comprised of guilo, for guilo gamers. They've done excellent research. So, in the end, 好過無啦.

It's a step forward. I mean, how many games can you name with ANY Cantonese in it, let alone a Chinese protagonist (HK or otherwise) and a Chinese supporting cast? Stranglehold and Rise to Honor come close, but even those don't have full Cantonese...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm 

If tis sold in china/HK you would want a cantonese option because thats the main language.
Other games in a country that doesn't speak english don't have an option to change the language. Some will be in cantonese but the market is mainly english-speaking so it probally wouldn't be cost effective for the devs. Some one might mod it though.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:43 pm 

Tequila Inspector wrote:
Hey XSonntoX, as a fellow Cantonese speaker, I share your sentiments. We're not the the only ones who feel this way:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56

Oh man.. They do share a lot in common with me, including my dislike towards Chinese (mainlanders), and Putonghua/Mandarin... I never thought of killing them though, LOL...

Tequila Inspector wrote:
I'm also sure that having a full Canto option will make a lot more HK gamers very happy (read: buy the game). However, I don't think it's going to happen because the market is probably not big enough for Square to feel that it's worth the time, effort, and cash. At least as SleepingDogs noted, there's some Cantonese mixed in with the English. Keep in mind this game was made by a team mostly comprised of guilo, for guilo gamers. They've done excellent research. So, in the end, 好過無啦.

Yes. I am happy that they chose Hong Kong! Nice to know there are some gweilo still respectful enough to research a place, instead of following the trend that 'all Chinese, are Chinese, and speak Chinese (Mandarin/Putonghua)', without distinguishing difference between Hong Kongers, and Chinese, and Cantonese and Mandarin... -- Yes, it is better than nothing. :) I am very excited for this game.

Tequila Inspector wrote:
It's a step forward. I mean, how many games can you name with ANY Cantonese in it, let alone a Chinese protagonist (HK or otherwise) and a Chinese supporting cast? Stranglehold and Rise to Honor come close, but even those don't have full Cantonese...

I don't even like games or movies that star Chinese people in it, because almost 100% of the time, their names are romanized in Mandarin, and they speak Mandarin, or they are portrayed to speak Mandarin. In the new movie 'Safe', the Chinese Triads in America, or gangsters, all speak Mandarin... Even though in the background you could hear some people from Chinatown speak Cantonese, they made the gang members speak Mandarin. I would understand the boss speaking Mandarin, since his background is him coming from China, but still. It just irritates me...

I am excited for Sleeping Dogs.. It will be one of the first, if not the one and only game that fully, completely 100% centres around Hong Kong <3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm 

In addition:

Does anyone know if Sleeping Dogs will have an on-line mode? Like GTA's type of online, or if it's going to be different, etc.

As well as since the MTR and Ferry were disabled, do you think they can add it afterwards as a DLC, or if they will have map-extension DLC for Kowloon, New Territories, Lantau Island, and the rest of Hong Kong?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey XSonntoX, welcome also to the forums. Sleeping Dogs will have an online component in that their will be leaderboards to compete against others/friends in things like longest police chase, longest wheelie, stunts ect. It was explained that their will be many different types of challenges to compete against other people and that when someone breaks your record you will get an ingame messgae. As far as free roam online it isnt in the game.

As far as dlc i would say kowloon is gonna make the cut if i was a betting man, and also the mtr/ferry for dlc's.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm 

Hurricane43 wrote:
Hey XSonntoX, welcome also to the forums. Sleeping Dogs will have an online component in that their will be leaderboards to compete against others/friends in things like longest police chase, longest wheelie, stunts ect. It was explained that their will be many different types of challenges to compete against other people and that when someone breaks your record you will get an ingame messgae. As far as free roam online it isnt in the game.

Aw, that would be fun for an online like GTA, but, single-player is still good! :)

Hurricane43 wrote:
As far as dlc i would say kowloon is gonna make the cut if i was a betting man, and also the mtr/ferry for dlc's.

Oh, shame.. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

XSonntoX wrote:
Hurricane43 wrote:

Aw, that would be fun for an online like GTA, but, single-player is still good! :)

Hurricane43 wrote:

Oh, shame.. :(

i mean i believe kowloon will be dlc with ferry and mtr :D :D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 am 

Hurricane43 wrote:
i mean i believe kowloon will be dlc with ferry and mtr :D :D

OH nevermind! I misread ! Yeah, then, YAY! Haha :P I hope so.. That'd be pretty cool :) Hopefully Ferry + MTR + Kowloon (maybe New Territories and others comes in different DLC), along with a few missions? Who knows... :P

I am sooo excited for this game!